Friday, February 15, 2013

Journalism project – the best way to spend the holiday


As some of you may know I am a great fan of the written word. I love reading and I love writing in almost equal proportions and so when I learnt about Project Abroad’s Journalism programme in India I had knew to go, even if it was for the final two weeks of my annual leave from my day job.

Having visited India as a baby, I’ve always wanted to visit India again and see what it is really like as an adult. Also, the food is something that I’ve always adored and I’ve always been draw to this far away place that was home to spices, food to die for and colourful saris.



Having finally got here after several weeks in Shanghai, this week has been a frenzy of activity. After we get allocated stories during a weekly editorial meeting, the rest of the time is spent researching, drafting questions and popping out to interview people. Much of this done in between power cuts and often in silence with the tapping away on the computer blending in with the sounds of the ceiling fans (when we have power) and the noise that floats up from the street.

But it is hard getting used to ‘Indian time’ where we have to wait for things to happen but it is all part of the experience.
                 

On Wednesday, I got to facilitate the workshop with several girls from a local college. They were doing an online journalism programme and were also involve with the Voices of the World website. With the help of Liz, another volunteer Journalist, I went through how to write an article, how to make it flow, etc. It was a bit scary because it is not something I usually do but it was really fun as the girls were really enthusiastic and had lots to say.

Copyright Madurai Messenger
Thursday saw a group of us visit a school in Madurai who had participated in a British Council Drama Competition and had made it to the top 8 as well as wining the ‘Best Script Award’. They were given a topic which was ‘India-UK: A modern fairytale.’ It was combination of British and Indian fairytales with a bit of Shakespeare mixed in and which produced a really interesting play, we were all impressed. It was also great to find out more about the process so that I could write my article.  


Copyright Madurai Messenger 
This article took up most of Friday and the weekend included a final bit of sightseeing.

On Saturday we visited a local palace which was built in the 16 century and was quite beautiful. I don’t think I’ll ever forget being swamped by a school group of kids and being asked by half a dozen families to have photos taken with them.



Sunday was a quiet one but we did manage to go to the Gandhi Museum and which we leant about India’s struggle for independence and learnt that it was here in Madurai that Gandhi adopted his Loin Cloth so that he would be more like the people he was representing.     

It is a shame that I have only two weeks for this project because even after one week I want to stay for longer. India is such a fascinating country with so much to discover and write about that I am sure this next week should be as equally as interesting.   

No comments:

Post a Comment